Friday, January 4, 2013

Fabric Rant


What was that you just said?
“prewash your fabric”
I am sorry, I just can’t hear you
“prewash your fabric”
Sorry, let me just turn the tv down
“prewash your fabric”

Look, I still can’t hear you, let me go and wash these blocks, then I will come closer and you can tell me what you just said

POOP !!!
---------------------------


Sorry- I just had to reblog this one post i found on http://gloriousapplique.blogspot.com/

it breaks my heart when ever i hear anyone who starts a new a quilt and does NOT pre-wash....   

I quilting teacher once told me during a class- 

"You don't need to pre-wash fabric, good quality fabric won't bleed. And why would you waste all that time washing drying and ironing?"

----------
Pre washing not only eliminates the worry of colors bleeding into each other- no matter HOW good the cotton is..  

All cotton has a about 2-4% amount of shrinkage after you wash and dry it. And who has time to hand wash a queen size quilt in cold water and drip dry? I would still be afraid of some color bleed..

Washing gives you an even playing field. I wash ALL my fabric that will go into any quilt that will eventually need to be washed at least once.
I don't care what it is, it's gets washed on warm and dried on high.
This way when i cut a 3" square from that fabric, i know when it gets washed it will not bleed or shrink at all.

If the quilt is something funky that will just hang on a wall... then fine don't pre wash. That would be stupid to wash it then..


----------------




2 comments:

  1. I pre washed my pre cuts and they dissapeared, dont recommend it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh i so agree! you can gently hand wash them and then air dry- but they will get eaten up buy your washer dryer, :-(
    I had some nice vintage scraps, but they had a smell to them so i just swished them around in a bucket and air dried them in the sun. I think that could work for fat quarters, but i wouldn't recommend washing a jelly roll!

    ReplyDelete